Sunday, July 15, 2007

Battery pack

I have my battery pack all wired up and ready to go. I went down to the local hardware store and bought 14 gauge stranded wire and 1/4 inch spade connectors for the batteries. I chose the 14 gauge wire because it was at least as large as the wire Golden Motor was using for their connections.

I purchased the batteries at a local Interstate Battery. I am using three BSL 1079 (12V 7.2AH) batteries.

I chose three BSL 1079 batteries because they are the right balance between range and weight. I need to go about 10 miles round trip and I don't want to lift more than ~20 pounds (for the whole pack). I plan to take the battery pack with me when I lock up my bike so I need something light enough to carry.

I ordered a Topeak rack an pack system from my local bike shop. I chose the Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DX (the one without panniers) and the matching Topeak Explorer bike rack. This is the same basic setup used by the go-hub kit.

The batteries fit nicely in the bag. I used double sided sticky tape to bond the batteries in an "I" configuration (I will add a picture later). There is enough room in the bag for the charger to sit on top of the batteries which is nice.

No comments: