Thursday, July 19, 2007

Motor width problem

Before I ordered the kit I asked Philip at Golden Motor if their kit would fit the fork on my bike. I was assured by Philip that the kit would work with my 100mm fork.

From the diagram on their website it is unclear which parts (besides the motor) fit between the dropouts on the fork. It turns out that the distance between the steel spacers (colored green in the diagram) is 100mm which means there isn't room for the washers that go between the spacers and the fork. Spreading the fork is not an option because forks in general are not designed for a static torque like this.

So, I decided to modify the spacers. Each spacer is a tube 3/4 inch outer diameter, 5/8 inch inner diameter, and 1/2 inch long. I had my friend Tim use a lathe to reduce the length of each spacer an amount equal to the thickness of the washer.

After I slid the new spacers on the motor shaft I noticed that one spacer is sticking out of the motor a little more than the other. The spacers do not sit flush with the exterior of the motor housing -- there is small well on each side of the motor in which the spacers rest.

So, on one side of the motor the recess is little deeper than the other. This means that the stationary washer is now really close to the rotating motor housing. What I have will work but I really would like new spacers taking this asymmetry into account.

2 comments:

OneEye said...

More pictures!

I appreciate the description. Did you take picture of your repair in progress. That can help folks doing their own coversion.

Tulsa said...

I don't have access to my camera right now -- I had to borrow one to take the pictures of the dented rim. I will definitely add more pictures when I get my camera back.