Thursday, July 19, 2007

Motor sensor problem

Alright, this is the moment I have been waiting for all week. I installed the motor, the battery pack and all the necessary wiring. I decided I would attempt to apply power for the first time with the bike rolling. The idea is to keep the initial stress on the motor controller as low as possible just in case it turned into some sort of pyrotechnic display.

So, I was rolling down the street and I applied a little power with the throttle. The motor immediately began to stutter and make a weird tick-tick noise. Obviously, this was not a good thing so I took the bike back to the garage to check things over.

I checked all the connectors making sure they were properly seated -- no change. I went to the forum to see if someone else experienced the same problem. From reading the stories on the forum it appears that it is either a broken sensor or sensor wire.

I hooked up a linear power supply directly to the sensor leads (the red and black wires). Then I hooked up a volt meter to ground and each sensor output (blue, yellow and green wires) one at a time while rolling the bike back-and-forth making sure each output alternated between 0 and 5 volts.

It turns out there was a problem with the green wire -- its output alternated between 0.2 and 0.4 volt. Since the low value was not zero this means that the problem is with the sensor itself and not the sensor wire. I will contact Philip at Golden Motor and let him know there is a problem.

No comments: